TITAL: Together If They All Lived
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Video Game Thread! What Game are you Playing?

+7
khfreak358
NebulaGregarZX
Haar_Dragon
Aesoth
Eques tenebrarum
Malakili007
Robofloozy
11 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Video Game Thread! What Game are you Playing? - Page 3 Empty Re: Video Game Thread! What Game are you Playing?

Post  khfreak358 Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:04 am

^Now that was a lot better than the other one. Mostly because of the singing. Though, the line "into the me" still pisses me off.
khfreak358
khfreak358
Siks the Umbra de Aurora
Siks the Umbra de Aurora

Back to top Go down

Video Game Thread! What Game are you Playing? - Page 3 Empty Re: Video Game Thread! What Game are you Playing?

Post  Haar_Dragon Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:06 am

I think they were just looking for a rhyme...
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon
Terra, the Vir who Convelli Telluris

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:38 am

So, those Blue Mages... Utility, Black Mage or White Mage?
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:56 am

Kind of all three... It has very specific functions, and some skills that are for generally destructive situations, but it's best used as a boss killer. White Wind is one of the spells, and it's a very useful healing spell, but has its own quirks (namely, it heals the whole party and cures their ailments, but the HP restored is equal to the HP of the caster before the spell is used). It has a number of spells that could be used to wipe out enemies, as if it were Black Magic. Really, it's hard to place, but it's mostly destructive.

TL;DR: Probably Black Magic, if you make sure to collect plenty of spells.

...Oh, you were asking which character type should use it? Definitely the Black Mage.

Hey, do you know about the new Job Classes? I think Necromancer is basically an evil version of the Blue Mage, with its Dark Arts command being basically Blue Magic only, y'know, doomy. Gladiator... I'unno much about it, I assume it's melee, but one of its skills is called Finisher, which automatically either gets a Critical for 9999, does 9999 elemental damage, or misses. It mostly does elemental damage, I've only seen one critical and one miss.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX
Aleri, the Vindex de Crepusculum

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:19 am

I've played through it before several times on the GBA, but only made it once to the Enuo fight as I stated earlier. Gladiator is pretty beast, but it's outclassed by Rapid Fire+Dual Wield. I don't even bother with Spellblade... Cannoneer I used for teh lulz once upon a time, but never seriously. Oracle I used for lulz as well and to max out Krile and Lenna's Magic stat. Actually, come to think of it, help me classify Dancer, Magic Knight, Ninja, Bard, and Ranger. I just got Hiryu, I'll be getting the water crystal set soon.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:33 am

[Dancer] - Utility/White Mage, I think... I'll go with [Utility].
[Magic Knight] - Fighter/Black Mage, but easily more of a [Fighter].
[Ninja] - [Fighter], obviously.
[Bard] - Utility/White Mage, but definitely more on the [White Mage] side.
[Ranger] - [Fighter].

Try using Spellblade. If you just exploit some weaknesses... it kills stuff. Like Liquid Flame, your next major boss, in Karnak.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:40 am

Thanks for that... What are some good Blue spells? I've never touched them before, getting beat up for something that I don't necessarily know works didn't sound so appealing XD
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:49 am

Weeeeeell... that's a tricky question. Certain bosses are weak to some of them, and knowing which skills work for which bosses makes them laughably easy. I don't have the mall memorized, but HCBailly gets them all as early as possible - and if he doesn't, there's a reason, and he makes note of it - and demonstrates their usefulness. I'd tell you about them, but I don't have a whole lot of info memorized. Like how the Chemist class can do amazing stuff, but I can never rememer the ingredients for what I want.

Hrm... Goblin Punch is helpful in select situations. It does OCTUPLE DAMAGE when used on anything that's on the same exact level as the caster, costs no MP, and is otherwise a normal attack. Obviously, get it from a Goblin, but I think checking the LP would help.

White Wind, which I described before, helps out with healing. All status ailments cured, and if the caster has high HP, then you get amazing healing for a fixed rate, unrelated to your Magic stat. I KNOW that's how it worked in FFVII, and I think it's the same here, but I can't remember.

Death Claw cuts an enemy's HP down to 1/4 and paralyzes them. Certain bosses are vulnerable to it...

Level 5 Death is... well, you know. It kills all enemies whose levels are multiples of five, guaranteed. I think there's one boss that has such an exploitable number...

Level 4 Holy is like the above skill, only instead of guaranteed death, it's a powerful attack. Multiples of 4 are easier to come by, making this one a bit more useful.

Level 3 Flare is a powerful spell that only hits enemies whose levels are multiples of three. Multiples of three are even more common, so expect more use out of this.

Magic Hammer cuts your target's MP in half. If it's a tricky enemy with big spells... give it the hammer.

Aero, Aera(not Aerora?), and Aeroga are basically just wind-elemental spells. They function just like the other elements, but these are of the Wind element, rather than Ice, Lightning, or Fire. Plus, if your Blue Mage wasn't also a Black Mage, it would mean that they would have access to conventional magic, instead of just crazy life-sucking, level-based, nearfatalbuthardlyworksonanything stuff.

That's all I can think of with some minor digging around inside my head. I'm sure I'm missing some important stuff... like Missile, Gravity (Percentage-based HP Reduction) - Flamethrower, Aqua Breath (Elemental damage)...
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:54 am

Gravity cuts foes' HP in half. I remember in KH1, where it was really broken against those PAIN IN THE ASS Wyverns on top of Hollow Bastion, because in that game, it was just a really OP spell that couldn't kill stuff. In FF, though, it's halved (I'm pretty sure), so it's kinda not really worth it.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:00 am

Gravity does 1/4, Gravira 1/2, and Graviga 3/4, and all are time spells. I'll look at a guide for the Chemist stuff, as well as where to get the Blue magics. I'll also definitely give the LP a quick look at, it sounds incredibly useful.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:21 am

It is. Just keep in mind the differences between the Famicom and GBA versions.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:23 am

Okay, so, after digging through some files of mine, I remembered that I had a game idea that I wanted to try and flesh out, and I thought a lot of you guys would be a good test audience. The base concept for this is a world set in a Middle-Ages type world where some humans have evolved somewhat, taking on some animal characteristics. These people live in harmony along with ordinary humans, a true dystopian (not quite sure that's the right word) world where little aside from monster attacks bothers any given town. However, this isn't to say there aren't racists: some humans believe that these Hybridic peoples are inferior, or that they are the product of "shameful things", as some put it, though they fail to come up with what these shamings may be. One man, a priest by the name of Caius Torbello, takes this a step further: since these people are part of some inherent sin, then they should be cleansed, or else how should they ascend to Paradise? In an attempt to do the right thing, he begins on a crusade to wipe out these Hybrids, but is met with refusal and ridicule wherever he goes. Defeated, he is about to finally give up and "leave the damned to their own damnation" when a Dog Hybrid kills a full human in an accident. Caius seizes upon the moment, saying the Hybrids are evil, and this was the first of many to happen. The ignorant people of the town rally with Caius, and kill the Hybrids or force them to leave. The remaining humans form the "Humanitarian Crusaders", whose goal is to cleanse the entire world of the Hybridic people. The player takes control of a party of three, with up to six characters to choose from, who can, under some circumstances, fully transform into their respective animal, and who take it upon themselves to save the world of this oppressive force.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:10 am

I dunno... it needs fleshing out. I suppose, if it had more to it, then it would work. As is, it doesn't seem like much of a basis for a game. It's a few members of an animalistic race fighting a racist movement against them by a priest and townsfolk. They'll face local militia at worst.

I feel that it needs some kind of government. The government that makes this movement official, and supports it with their military. Townsfolk would probably begin to feel the same, some of them, but perhaps not all. That way, there's still towns full of people who aren't all out for your blood all the time, so you're not buying weapons in town to butcher them all with later, and have a major force with resources to deal with, and trained soldiers, and access to the highest technology available; whether that's hovercars or horse-drawn carriage (Medaeval Era means it would likely be tha latter).

...So, you say this was an idea for a game? You mean, you're going to try and make a game of this? Or a story? An RP?
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Malakili007 Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:13 am

Here's the thing....after looking it over....I SWEAR....I feel like I've read something before exactly like that....right down to the name Caius Torbello
Malakili007
Malakili007
Lenox, the Unus Leo
Lenox, the Unus Leo

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:19 am

I do have a lot fleshed out, at least for the stage of development hell that it's in, but I really don't want to type all that out right now with cold, mostly numb hands. Suffice it to say, there is a government, but it's rather complex and I'll explain more tomorrow when I feel like posting and writing more. Not all towns are hostile, the same as not all humans are hostile and not all Hybrids are friendly, for whatever reason that may be.

And yes, Gregar, I'd like to make a game out of this, though maybe for some segments I'd like a little bit of input, like "Would this make more sense, or would that?" I might make an RP of it if you guys would like to try it out, and at some point I fully intend to have a story form of this, made to maximize on some things that the game might not allow, probably moreso for character interactions. I have full bios for Caius and the six potential party members, though I pretty much told Caius's just now XD He's the one character that sets up most of the game.

@Mala Really? That's kinda messed up, I want to have a somewhat original idea, I know it might not be the best but I want a game that some people might like, while at the same time providing an experience that showcases what games should be.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Malakili007 Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:23 am

Really.....but for the life of me I CAN NOT remember where....It just sounds really really familiar...Either I read it somewhere or I had a clairvoyant dream of your idea o.0
Malakili007
Malakili007
Lenox, the Unus Leo
Lenox, the Unus Leo

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:26 am

Quick Google search showed that there's a Twilight character named Caius, but no Torbello characters... Hmmm...
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Malakili007 Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:33 am

Huh.....*shrugs* Oh well.....wouldn't be the first time I've had an oddly specific clairvoyant dream.
Malakili007
Malakili007
Lenox, the Unus Leo
Lenox, the Unus Leo

Back to top Go down

Post  Eques tenebrarum Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:38 am

Or anybody else probably, dreams do freaky moments like that
Eques tenebrarum
Eques tenebrarum
Leo the Militis de caligo
Leo the Militis de caligo

http://Fanfiction.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:39 am

I've seen "Caius" as the Yu-Gi-Oh card "Caius the Shadow Monarch"

Dystopia means something akin to "hellish". A perfect world is a "Utopia".

I dunno, it doesn't really seem too much like a game. There's no real "Big Bad" unless the people all accept this "Caius" as their king and he rules the world. That might be a decent idea. Maybe "Caius" could take over a chunk of the world and send out soldiers and such, and maybe have an actual trained military, probably have the game take place a few months later, after there's been some in-universe time to train the people against these Hybrids. Really, though, in its current state, it does sound more like an RP.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:46 am

Yeah. I suppose something you could do is collaborate on the writing, AS IF it were an RP, but we make sure to edit things and turn it into the dialogue and story for the game.

Also, all you've told us about was the setup. Nothing about how the story will actually progress. Oh, and take one from Final Fantasy's book: don't tell the player who the villain is from the start, have them figure it out from what they hear around towns and from dialogue, and make sure there's somebody even worse behind the supposed villain.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:50 am

I guess I should have taken the time to actually elaborate on that XD Damn hands... Anyway, the game takes two months after Caius takes over the town. He's built up a considerably sized army and has prepared for war against the Hybrids, and the opening of the game starts with the MC, a bear Hybrid named Theo, coming home from a day of gathering, fishing, and woodcutting in the forest to his hometown where people are being slaughtered. Theo escapes along with a handful of other villagers, and manages to make it with them to the nearest town, Theo dealing with any monsters on the way. After staying the night, Theo wakes up and is apprehended by the Crusaders; however, due to unknown causes (I'll elaborate more on it later in the story) he transforms into a bear and dispatches the troops. The townsfolk fear him, but a friend of his advises him to try and seek the help of the World's Council. Theo then departs, and the meat of the game begins. I had some stuff planned like an optional tutorial where this friend could either teach you how to battle in the game, or you could battle him on your own for some small extra experience. Small things like that. Though if I get enough parts for the roles, I'll gladly make this into a RP. And I realize, I have a lot of this planned already, but I lack the right knowledge and programming tools to do so. I'd appreciate the writing help, too.

As for progression, I'm thinking of presenting the game like a SNES era RPG game, something not overly flashy, or whatever, just something simple that draws people in.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:59 am

Honestly, y'know what it kinda sounds like to me? For this kinda story, I'd go with a ROMhack of FFIV or VI. And I feel as though games like KH1 have the best villains. The ones where you don't know who they are until halfway through the game, or sometimes even P3, where it isn't revealed until the last minute. You have an objective, you need to complete it, as opposed to "Hey, let's kill this guy and it'll be all sunshine and daisies." And then, of course, you find out that someone is actually behind it really late-game.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:02 am

Like FFV, FFVI level stuff? Sounds good. I'd love to help with the story. I've been contemplating doing the same thing for a long time, but I don't have the tools. It's a different kind of story, but a few of my ideas for sequences and other such things may find a place in it.

I'm also a Manga-style artist, and I dabble in Spriting, so I may be able to help with that when the time comes. I'm sure there's plenty og RPG game Maker programs out there, and who knows? I might even be able to help compose the music.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:17 am

I appreciate the support, you guys. Haar, I like the way you think, this is actually going to be kind of a cross between VI and Chrono Trigger for the battle system, and to Nebula, I'd love to have help with sprites and maybe some concept art, tomorrow I'll have everything organized again and I'll PM you the profiles and whatnot... or, rather, I'll just post them here XD Heck, if I can I'll even scan the world map that I drew out, it's kinda... empty? I guess? But I'm more focused on gameplay and storytelling, I'm sure the content will be enough for a twenty hour game one way or another.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next