TITAL: Together If They All Lived
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ITT we rant about SMT and Persona *SPOILERS THROUGHOUT LIKELY*

4 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

ITT we rant about SMT and Persona *SPOILERS THROUGHOUT LIKELY* Empty ITT we rant about SMT and Persona *SPOILERS THROUGHOUT LIKELY*

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Mon May 25, 2015 6:48 am

So, after just about nearly beating the first storyline of P4AU and rather enjoying it for what it was, it kind of left me a little on the angry side as well. Like yeah I get that the epilogue was something that they used to illustrate that everyone was learning that they had to move on and that most of them were going to be going off from Inaba (Everyone is going to leave at some point, even the homebodies of Chie, Yukiko, and Kanji are apt to leave even for a little while) and the rest of them have no real lingering reason to stay other than coming back to meet up and to keep tabs on Nanako, Marie, and meet up with each other like I just said.

That said, I got really fucking buggered that they let Sho go in the TV world, somewhere, with... no real escape, unless he finds some other way out or leaves later... and then we have this fucking Elizabeth mindgame that's been going on since the last game about her searching for a way to rescue Minato. Is she going to save him? Is there going to be any continuation of this? Everyone seems to have moved on but her, and I don't think there's a way to resurrect him in any capacity.

I also feel like this thread is just going to suddenly be dropped and never explored again in other games. It'd really dampen the mood, tbh, if in Persona 5 she had some involvement or suddenly showed up while still searching for a way to save Minato. I want to see what Atlus is doing with their fresh start. I want to see the new thing about new things in this series. At the same time though, they're pretty good about giving us resolution in some form, but FUUUUUCK. Just end it already!

That said, are they going to end this with another game or is just something that we're going to have to be done with as the end to P4's storyline (and by extension of crossover, P3's as well)? I haven't the fucking foggiest and I'm just confused as to why this is still going.

I really needed that off my chest, so thankee kindly if anyone reads this XD

With that out of the way, has anyone else here played SMT IV? And either gotten pretty far or beaten it? Because I'd like to get back into it but I'm not 100% on how I should stat build or if it's really worth it.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

ITT we rant about SMT and Persona *SPOILERS THROUGHOUT LIKELY* Empty Re: ITT we rant about SMT and Persona *SPOILERS THROUGHOUT LIKELY*

Post  Haar_Dragon Tue May 26, 2015 1:44 am

I kinda hope they finish it off in Dancin'. Just cuz. Also, I find a lot of the cast of P4 to be really...boring (Looking at you, Yukiko), and the same applies to Inaba. Where I'm going with this is, I also desperately want them to let it drop. I mean, sure, that means no more of Best-Uncle Dojima or Brosuke, and probably very little of Mitsuru or Akihiko, but really. Let the characters get their resolution and let sleeping dogs lie.

As far as SMT IV, I haven't played it--one of my many, many games on the "to play" list--but I know that in Devil Survivor (completely different, I'm aware) I pumped into Magic, with a sub in Agility, and MC pretty much destroyed everything. I also played some of Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, and in that game, MC learns no magic at all. So you'd be safe with a Strength-based character, but then again, I don't know much aside from the fact that there's a semi-restricted (read: Costs a piss-load of money) area where you can buy Cu Chulainn's armor.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon
Terra, the Vir who Convelli Telluris

Back to top Go down

ITT we rant about SMT and Persona *SPOILERS THROUGHOUT LIKELY* Empty Re: ITT we rant about SMT and Persona *SPOILERS THROUGHOUT LIKELY*

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Tue May 26, 2015 1:55 am

Considering I'm probably going to take the Easy-Breezy Covergirl approach and buy all the DLC that matters in addition to playing it on like Easy or something. As much as I love SMT I prefer having a bigger ego about it and having fun rather than "proving myself" in a one-player game. And yeah, for most SMT games bar Persona it looks like physical is godly later in the game somehow, but that makes me scratch my head, unless there's just no elemental weaknesses.

You're saying some stuff I agree with, but also a little I don't quite agree with either. I'm a flip-flopper on how I view certain characters (Yukiko and Rise...) and how I view certain interactions/relationships (Naoto and Kanji) but I feel like it'd be interesting to see if anyone else here has a dead-certain favorite partner. Like if you wanted to attempt a 2-man party for the whole game, who is the partner? Mine would be Naoto or Yosuke, probably. Not just for in-game reasons but because if I wanted someone to have my back I want my best bud or someone who is through and through capable, calm, and cunning.

And I think Dancing All Night is like... about as non-cannon as Persona Q. If not more so. You defeat shadows with the power of dance. Fuck that noise.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Tue May 26, 2015 2:06 am

I like Rise in kind of a "Yep, I would definitely hang around with you if you were an actual person," sort of way. And if I were to attempt a two-man run, it'd be with either Yosuke or Kanji. But probably Yosuke. Because I've run through once each Vanilla and Golden, and Yosuke is awesome on pretty much every level. And the plot seems to dictate that Yosuke be in the party at all times, if only for how close he and MC are (regardless of whether MC is a total assclown during the Slinks).

Persona Q was super-canon, though. It just didn't matter because interquels like that necessitate that things happen to make the canon not even matter. Also, am I the only one who thinks Q had the best story? Like, hands-down the best story?

And what's wrong with beating down Shadows with the power of Dance? If you're like me, you have every capacity to embrace all of the stupid, laugh at it, and then take a brief look at Yosuke and Yu's designs and double over with your arms around your stomach.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Tue May 26, 2015 2:29 am

The characters I find most abrasive tend to be characters all universally adored by other people, and "my group" is less adored by these same people. For instance, I'm a Chie, Naoto, and Ayane kind of guy, and enjoy these characters' backstories and SLinks a lot! However, people who like Yukiko tend to also like Rise and Yumi, and Daisuke over Kou. I have no idea why, but that's just how things tend to happen around me XD.

Okay, I'm all for crazy bullshit but we cannot go from saving the world from committing inadvertent suicide using the power of... friendship... okay I see your point, BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN I HAVE TO LIKE I-- oh fuck it it's Meguro of course I'm going to be all over this shit.

I haven't beaten Q yet lemme finish! You and Admin both I /swear/! Additionally, haven't beaten P4AU all the way apparently, as Labrys has her storyline.

Other than that, I think Yukiko, Yosuke, Teddie is the best party. We have all the Ma-kajas, we have two dedicated healers, we have backup healer, we have all elements but Zio which is rarely hitting weaknesses anyway, we have TWO Amrita and Samerecarm users, and the only thing we don't have is Instant Death, which we can swap Naoto for Yosuke during dungeons. And Chie for Teddie for all-hitting physicals to clean up and not have to hear squeaky feet. D:
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Tue May 26, 2015 2:39 am

Chie or Naoto, I think, for me. I'm alright with Yukiko and Rise, I do prefer Daisuke over Kou, and Ayane over Yumi.

I like the idea of Dancing All Night. It's absurd, and I love it. It's pure fanservice, and the music sounds great.

Hey, I have yet to even GET Persona Q. And I shouldn't until I beat Bravely Default and Tales of the Abyss. Goddamn, I can never finish my JRPGs! Final Fantasy IX is STILL waiting for me to beat it!
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX
Aleri, the Vindex de Crepusculum

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Tue May 26, 2015 2:52 am

...Damn, Abyss is another game on my "to finish" list.

Yukiko is kinda...flat. She has characteristics, but they're not...really a personality. The way she says things, she just...says them. And it's not interesting. And holy hell I hate Yumi. Ayane might not be too interesting, but at least in her slink "You played your trumpet with passion!" makes the whole thing worthwhile. Certainly better than "You thoroughly practiced expressing a variety of emotions." As for Kou, I've never actually seen his Link...still, Daisuke and Kou are both pretty cool guys. Very "best friend" type. Except Brosuke.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Tue May 26, 2015 3:23 am

Dude at this point I am going to start sincerely recommending you play on Easy and just /go/ with it bruh. You got this. You gotta just GO man XD Like the game isn't really super hard after a certain point, and that point is learning to accept that a certain kind of setup is godly and just going with it. Razz Which I will be more than happy to share if you want it.

I used to be the same way about Yukiko, and then I realized that while she does have her rather... slightly irritating... naivete, she also does have like genuine concern for others, especially Chie (they're in lesbians together XD) and MC. She's not useless in any regard, as some others might be considered by other people (personally, everyone has their purpose: Kanji just happens to be mostly brute strength, but also more importantly, his principles of manhood, etc. make him an ideal person for moral support and keeping others going, that's all that sticks out to me atm).

Dude though Kashiwagi and Hanako for worst characters. Amen?
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Cremator of the Sky Tue May 26, 2015 3:43 am

Quite frankly, I enjoyed Ultimax's story mode... aside from the Final Boss which was just the Final Boss from ChronoPhantasm except lamer in every possible way. It was good to finally see the P4 cast given a concrete and solid ending. Especially because this means no more P3/P4 stuff and we can move on to P5. Because the moment I saw "Persona 4: Dancing All Night" I thought to myself "No. No more. This part of the series needs to end. Right now. And never be looked upon again." Or to look at it another way "Nothing ever lasts forever." I really hope nothing happens to make them change the fact the ending of Ultimax is the ending to the P3/P4 games, because any other ending would be really, really stupid.

Letting Sho stay in the TV World was honestly the best way to handle that. You don't seem to understand that Sho hated all humanity and only near the end of the game began to somewhat tolerate the cast. I'm sure he'll find a way out or something and I personally would like to see Sho get a novel like Naoto did. As for Minato, I don't care about him or that plot thread involving Elizabeth at all. To me, Minato is as dead as Jacob Marley who is as dead as doorknob. And why should he come back at all? That would just take away from his sacrifice at the end of 3 and just cheapen the feel of his death.

I don't think anyone else has played any other SMT game on this site except me. So, for the best build, do not go with a Magic based MC. Magic based MCs are a recent thing in the mainline SMT games, so that's why everyone just sticks with a Physical based one. You'll want to focus on raising STR... to a point, because there's a certain limit to how much the stat will actually boost your Physicals. The Dex stat however is very important and recommended to keep raising because it doesn't have that problem and Gun based attacks are ridiculous. However, in addition to that, never forget to always keep some support techs on your MC. I ran a Phys attacker/Buff Support hybrid MC set and it wrecked EVERYTHING.

EDIT: Was writing this post on and off and didn't take a look at the conversation happening before I made it. Thus, I missed Haar's note about playing Soul Hackers and I forgot he played DeSu 1.
Cremator of the Sky
Cremator of the Sky
Omicron
Omicron

Location : The Ancient World that I have cremated and seeded with Metal.

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Tue May 26, 2015 8:33 pm

"Nothing lasts forever" is a great way to put it, given that it's kinda been the theme of both P3 and P4. And I am well aware of how stupid Dancing All Night is, even conceptually. But it's a rhythm game. You are not playing it for story, because it's a rhythm game. And as such, I view it as sharing the same level of canon as, say...Mario Kart.

And really, it seems kind of weird for them to leave Sho, just on the basis of...P4 as a whole. But that said, the guy has two swords, two personalities, and a Persona. If he can't handle himself in the TV world, then hell if the entire cast of P4 should even be alive. Regarding Minato...I like him, and I do kinda want to see more of him, but Q was the way to handle that. I don't like the idea of reviving dead characters in general. Didn't they establish that they could technically bring him back, if they completely rid the entire world of negative emotion? Because I'm fine with leaving it at "He'll come back if you do this impossible thing that would end the franchise so the writers are never going to do it."

And as a footnote, I'll say that the reason I build characters to be primarily Mag-based is because they're usually more effective in general, what with the ability to exploit weaknesses and things generally having low Res stats. In SMT...Phys has its own element, so there's always that...What I end up doing in most RPGs that run stat-distribution is doing a sort of trial run to see what stats are best, then ending up with a garbage character and restarting once I know what I'm doing. Probably not the most effective method of playing video games...
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Tue May 26, 2015 8:43 pm

That and you seem to have forgotten my numerous resounding hatred-filled banshee-shrieks of "fuck you Matador. Fuck you in your stupid sequined asshole I fucking hate you." And that I'm no stranger to having a physical MC, just that the notion kind of makes me confused. Like why would you have all of these weaknesses unless you're banking on criticals for days. I'll make a note of that though, STR, Agility so that I can act before the enemy (or bail if I need to) and DEX for guns? What about SMT 3? I have no idea which version of Nocturne I have other than Dante is in it.

So Minato comes back at the same time KH has no more Heartless. Delicious. And if nothing else, I don't mind that everyone's off doing their own thing, that doesn't bother me and I'll fondly think of what will be or could be instead of what it "should" be, if that makes sense. Like how Naoto's going to do her own investigations, Chie's going to be a police officer, etc, rather than "man, they really need to finish up these dangling threads for closure purposes". That's all fine with how they handled it. The thing I can't stand is Elizabeth off doing this thing out in the universe somewhere and being a fucking WILD CARD of all things and having /no/ fucking clue what she's doing with that, or how that's going to resolve, if it ever will. And if Minato comes back... well, yeah. That'd just ruin Kimi no Kioku (Memories of You) for me. Like if after this we had a thing about how everyone's staying in Inaba jk they're not really leaving guys! That'd cheapen the end of P4, P4AU and Nevermore as well.

Meh, I'm rambling, I'll be back after 6 Flags. Later dudes.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Cremator of the Sky Tue May 26, 2015 10:45 pm

It's funny you bring up Sho having two personalities because (and I forgot where I read this) he's lost Minazuki after the final battle, but still has Tsukiyomi. Don't ask me how that works. Some would reasonably complain about this and that thread in regards to Elizabeth, but all I have to say is this is WAY better than any of the writing in Blazblue as of late (Sweet YHVH, Mori is practically becoming the Kishimoto/Tite Kubo of the ArcSys Fighter Writers. On the other hand, at least BB4 will be the last game and can possibly redeem some of the stuff that happened in CP.)

I can't say I recall the whole "As long as there is Evil" bit in regards to Minato, but I suppose that's fitting given the circumstances of his death. It also reminds of Breath of Fire II for a variety of reasons. For anyone curious on that matter, I suggest going to the LP Archive and looking up the LP for Breath of Fire II. I highly recommend it, you won't be wasting your time. It's one of my favorite LPs to read.

Believe it or not, I don't recall having an issue dealing with Matador in Nocturne. Then again, this was years ago when I played Nocturne and I haven't touched it since. Also, the main reason I don't build in Magic Based MC in most SMT games is because that's what Demons are for. I won't deny its good to have some magic starting out, but by the end of the game I'd recommend having a Phys based MC instead of a Magic one. On the other hand, I would NEVER suggest a Phys based MC for any of the Devil Survivor games because of reasons.
Cremator of the Sky
Cremator of the Sky
Omicron
Omicron

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Tue May 26, 2015 10:55 pm

That's because DeSu has a very limited number of Phys attacks and they have to be distributed. There's literally 3 good ones, so if MC is Phys, nobody else on your team is Phys because their attacks will be garbage. Also Drain is super OP and runs off your Mag, so there's that.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Cremator of the Sky Wed May 27, 2015 12:26 am

Vanilla DeSu 1 was so bad for Phys attackers. Thankfully, DeSu Overclocked and DeSu 2 fixed this greatly. Granted, those skills are better are your designated physical hitters (IE: Atsuro, Kaido, and Izuna in 1 and Daichi, Makoto, and Jungo in DeSu 2 (granted Makoto's Magic isn't too bad and Joe should have Multi-Strike on him if he's being used, screw Keita, that sack of crap shouldn't be used by anyone) because there's still more Spells than Phys moves.
Cremator of the Sky
Cremator of the Sky
Omicron
Omicron

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Wed May 27, 2015 1:31 am

Put it this way: Let's look at Zio skills. We have Zio, Mazio, Ziodyne, Maziodyne, and Elec Dance, which hits randomly 2-5 times and won't hit the same enemy more than 3. And that's for every element bar Almighty.

Then there's Phys. Phys in vanilla DeSu 1 has Anger Hit, a 50-50 Crit or Miss, Brutal Hit and Power Hit (just strong), Mighty Hit (a free Crit), Hassohappa (like Maziodyne), Berserk and Deathbound (Phys Dance). Phys users also require more backup skills, leaving less freedom for passive skills (You're going to use Phys Amp, and you should use Life Surge and Life Lift, leaving you with nothing). And since Extra Turns are pretty much everything, you're pretty much locked into Mighty Hit, Hassohappa, and Deathbound. You might switch Mighty Hit for Anger hit if you're willing to swap out your Auto Ability for Marksman (you'll never miss), but there's a bunch of other good Auto Skills, so it's not really worth it if you have good demons.

This was fixed to a degree in DeSu O and DeSu 2 with skills like Mow Down (weaker Hassohappa), but it's still kinda useless to have more than one of anything. For DeSu 1 and O, I usually go with an Almighty MC, a Mage with two elements, a Mage with the other two, and a Phys. And I don't care about Curse because really.

Come to think of it, that's kind of a thing in general, isn't it? Standard enemies are never worth the MP to use ailments on, and Bosses are almost always either immune to ailments or resistant to them to the point of not being worth the resources. Wow. Bosses are jerks.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Wed May 27, 2015 2:11 am

It is, and it's annoying. Which is why I love games that don't do that, like FFIV DS.

By the way, Record Breaker came out earlier this month? How the hell did they get it over here so fast? That shouldn't have taken only four months to translate and dub!
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Wed May 27, 2015 2:19 am

Given that the script would have been mostly translated already though? And wait, it's out now? Welp, yet another game pushing SMT IV back further on the "to play" list...Y'know, it's times like this I'm glad I don't have other hobbies...
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Wed May 27, 2015 2:38 am

Half. You mean half. Remember how Overclocked had an extra day? Record Breaker has an extra week. And Overclocked didn't just copy/paste the English translation. They either tweaked it, or retranslated it.

Granted, that extra week might just total up to the amount of text/voice work that there would be in all of Overclocked's eighth-day scenarios, but still, it's just crazy. And I've already got too much on my plate to check it out right now, what with beating II.5 and trying my hand at post-game battles, then BBS Final Mix, and I need to finish those other games, too, and I ended up getting Tales of Symphonia Chronicles so now I have another Tales game to beat, but first I feel obligated to beat Abyss-

That's enough outta me.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Cremator of the Sky Wed May 27, 2015 2:47 am

Record Breaker is great, get it. However, Nebula is right on the note of the translation. It's been tweaked a bit in RB with some... mixed results. For example, did you know in DeSu 2 Vanilla Joe apparently sang some of "Dick in a Box" by The Lonely Island? Sadly, that's not there anymore. I'm glad though that the English voices are really good so far... but I think Cam Clarke shouldn't be voicing Ronaldo the Worst Law Rep ever/Ronaldo the Hypocrite.

Because really, Ronaldo is the worst character in the game bar none.
Cremator of the Sky
Cremator of the Sky
Omicron
Omicron

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Wed May 27, 2015 3:44 am

Agreed. The fact that he can potentially kill one of my FAVORITE characters - for no reason other than that she's technically his enemy - makes it worse. I can tolerate him, but the game doesn't carry his Fate Rank character development into the plot. Social Links avoided that simply by having the events be about character development pertaining to their own issues, not stuff that gets dragged into the main plot. Ronaldo goes from his terrible normal self to a guy who understands he was wrong, and has learned not to be such a hardass... but then he ignores all of that! It's just plain jarring.

It's also kind of hilarious how Law and Chaos are represented in that game. Detective who organizes rebellions and raids on JPs, the only authority left in the world? Oh, he's Law. Prodigy in charge of said authority, who puts together most of the plans to stop the world from ending and mobilizes the people who can actually do stuff? Chaos. In fact, maybe that's why Ronaldo sucks. The Chaos faction gets things done, and is the only reason the Law faction is still alive to steal their supplies and struggle to live. If Ronaldo really had everyone's best interests in mind, he'd try to work together with them, even though he hates JPs.

There's also the fact that while the Chaos ending is a tad grim and gives off an evil vibe, it doesn't seem like a bad ending. The Law ending is lame and kind of ends on a note that gives off the "you got the lesser ending" vibe that I get from some bad endings that are really just kind of neutral-leaning-towards-bad. Like the P4 Neutral Ending. Nanako lives, but you never caught the killer.

...Dammit, now I really want to play Record Breaker. I just saw it in the store today! Bah... And most likely, I'll be playing Persona Q first, for reasons. I've got a loooooong list these days, and not playing games while I focused on the semester only made it longer.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Cremator of the Sky Wed May 27, 2015 4:48 am

The Law Ending is down right horrifying from what a friend of mine told me as its basically "Hey, you've effectively doomed mankind because now that everyone's equal, everyone needs the same amount of resources and those are running out fast." It doesn't surprise me in the least that the Law ending would only be a downer and a massive disappointment. I think there's only one good Law Ending (Well okay, two since I'll always count Overclocked) and that perfectly corresponds to the fact there is only one good Law Rep (Amane is love, Amane is life).

Of course, I say this being a Chaos Supporter, but can you REALLY blame me? Amane and Johnathan are probably the only good Law Reps while everyone else is really terrible in some way or another (except SMT 2's Law Rep, I don't know much about him so I can't really say much for him). I mean really, if anyone's interested I can just go on and rant about how they all suck.
Cremator of the Sky
Cremator of the Sky
Omicron
Omicron

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Wed May 27, 2015 5:57 am

Rants are fun, why not? Of course, hold on a sec. Technically, Persona (one) has a Law and Chaos rep: Kei Nanjo and Masao Inaba. You don't side with one and abandon the other or anything, but they do represent the sides, and while Nanjo is cold sometimes, and even suggests leaving a man to die, that's because it would save you the rest of the game's trouble, for all he knew. But only by not listening to one exclusively can you get the good ending. You still need to walk the Neutral path to get the best results, but now you can't settle for the lesser of two evils by going with Chaos, since it's ultimately the same as Law.

And for that matter, it almost seems like ATLUS has something against Law. You would think in a series like SMT, they'd at least try to make it a better balance, instead of making one side clearly terrible, one side kind of dickish but not as bad, and pissing them both off to do your own thing, making you go through much more trouble, is the best. I like the idea that having to think for yourself and doing the right thing regardless of Law/Chaos would make things a lot harder, but yield better results, but man, could they not make Law suck?

As for BlazBlue, yeah, Mori seems to be kind of insane. He can take an amazing setup and make it boring... And then - get this - the most interesting story in the game is the part where it's just the novels being adapted into in-game cutscenes! I mean, most people complain about Celica, and I would too, but the fact that she's actually connected by a thread to everything else allows me to suspend my disbelief. You know, since she was that 'sister' that Terumi decided to murder while he was torching Ragna's home and kidnapping Saya. That he'd kill the one person in the world whose ability makes him useless against any other fighter while the only other people around were small children makes sense.

Take-Mikazuchi was a cool idea, but the execution and balance aren't good. Some characters have an easy time with him, some can't use their Drives, some are... Tager, which means they're screwed, and it's just not great. You beat on a large, mostly stationary target until it finally stops moving, escaping its attacks in between. It's long-winded and not that fun. I'm glad they were willing to try something new, but if they basically copied that for Ultimax, then I'm disappointed in them. It gives a feeling of resilience and power to have it take so long to kill, but it's not fun. If they'd given it phases, clearly defined ones where its patterns change, and made its health bar less maddening to chip away at, I'm sure it'd be more fun! Or maybe it'd be unbalanced as all hell, I don't know!

Bah. Anyway, rant about all the Law/Chaos reps?
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Cremator of the Sky Wed May 27, 2015 5:07 pm

I don't really view Masao and Nanjo as Law or Chaos Reps. Rather, I see them as just being the classic representation of Emotion vs. Logic in the story as neither of those are inherently exclusive to either Chaos or Law. Hell, Nanjo's decision to abandon that person would be considered something a Chaos Rep would do, but I digress. But as for the rest of what you said, I agree. That's really why I love P1's story and concepts over the later games, but that's a story for a different day.

As for Law being that bad, you have to keep in mind that 95% of the time Law is being taken to its absolute extreme. What most certainly doesn't help this is how tyrannic YHVH is, and if you've read the Old Testament you can exactly see why that is. Unfortunately, Law being taken to its absolute extreme either translates to "You and a few people chosen by God live blissful lives while the rest of mankind are your personal slaves" or "Everyone loses their free will completely and get to live the safest and most secure lives." And that's really not okay with a lot of people in comparison to "You can do whatever you want so long as you have the strength to back it up" which is honestly bad, but not as bad to either of the other situations. Which is why Amane is really the best Law Rep and I'll elaborate on that later.

Since you've brought BlazBlue up again, I'll just say this. It was REALLY good in CT, it a got a little dumb during CS, but not too bad, and CP is when just kind of fell apart midway through. I enjoyed CP's story a little more than CS', if only because it did me quite a few solids (IE: gave Bang and Relius more screen time, possibly killed off Hazama alongside Terumi, killed off Sena and Luna, Izanami Saya has taken her rightful place as Big Bad, introduced the manliest character ever Azrael, I think I could go on but I won't). CP did some good things, but it also did a lot of bad things, but I will say I don't mind Celica at all. For example, CP introduces a handful of new characters (Kagura, Bullet, Amane, and the previously mentioned Azrael) and only one of them gets extensive focus, two of them show up from time to time, and the last one is practically written off as a foot-note. Granted I like Kagura a lot, I kind of wish Bullet got some focus, but I'm really grateful Azrael got such a great role all things considered.

I just hope Azrael comes back in the fourth game, or at the least we get a flashback explaining his backstory. I mean really, Azrael's probably one of the most interesting characters so far because we not only don't we know practically nothing about him, but Azrael has also shown there's more to him than meets the eye. What do I mean by that? Well, Kagura flat out says Azrael fights just by throwing his power around without any thought and anyone can clearly see this is the case for practically ALL of Azrael's move set... except one move, Scud Punishment. This is a move where Azrael focuses on using two of his fingers to strike what one can assume is a pressure point on his target opening both of their weak points. Secondly, in the Tutorial, Azrael covers the Advanced section and calmly informs the player of everything they need to know.

Now could a character labeled and viewed as just some Berserker be capable of these things? Do you know how hard it would be to strike a pressure point on your opponent's body in the middle of a battle? And how about when the game's tutorial has the featured character's acting completely in character as they give their lessons? All I'm saying is... Azrael needs more focus and love.

EDIT: Whoops, I'll cover that Law Rep rant later.
Cremator of the Sky
Cremator of the Sky
Omicron
Omicron

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:17 pm

So I've been playing Record Breaker the last few days, and it's definitely a good game, but holy hell Ronaldo. The game puts so much emphasis on him, and it wouldn't be so bad if not for the fact that everything he does is clearly out of personal vendetta against Yamato. Between stealing supplies while rambling about justice and just general sneaking around. And then there's the meetings you're required to have with him, where it's like "Oh hey, main character, I see you're around at a very convenient time for me to explain the evils of JP's." and meanwhile I'm just thinking "I am literally only here because I'm being forced to."

Yep. Ronaldo is definitely the worst Law rep ever. I haven't even done his route (Sitting pretty on the Anguished One's route) and I am absolutely convinced that Ronaldo is the worst Law rep. I might not even do his route. It's pretty apparent to me that his goal is basically just
Spoiler:
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Cremator of the Sky Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:29 pm

Hey Haar, want to know something really sad?

There's Law Reps worse than Ronaldo. Also, that rant/summary is almost ready. Warframe and Writing have been consuming my life lately.
Cremator of the Sky
Cremator of the Sky
Omicron
Omicron

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next