TITAL: Together If They All Lived
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Video Game Thread! What Game are you Playing?

+7
khfreak358
NebulaGregarZX
Haar_Dragon
Aesoth
Eques tenebrarum
Malakili007
Robofloozy
11 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Video Game Thread! What Game are you Playing? - Page 2 Empty Re: Video Game Thread! What Game are you Playing?

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:00 pm

Came here to post on what I was playing, and instead I'll post that AND my findings on KH2FM. I'll be honest: using an ISO really wasn't what I expected. There's a lot of graphical issues and though I have a pretty decent computer, I still get framerate slowdown. ALBEIT, I haven't gotten past like Day 3 of Roxas yet, but I'll get there one day. I figured out how to get the patches and such working through a myriad of Youtube videos, if you really want them I'll track them down again. Other than that, there's so much bonus content I can't say don't play it.

In other news, I'm playing Pokemon Stadium (just beat Round One via a FLUKE), Quest 64, Persona 3FES, Bomberman The Second Attack, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Harvest Moon 64, Persona 4 Arena (although I haven't since I got ass-raped by cheaty-bitch Yu D<) Naruto Ninja Storm 2, Super Mario World, Sonic '06 and I think I'll download a few SNES titles.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Video Game Thread! What Game are you Playing? - Page 2 Empty Re: Video Game Thread! What Game are you Playing?

Post  khfreak358 Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:17 pm

Why are you playing Sonic '06? Do you have the biggest death wish known to man, or are you just a masochist?
khfreak358
khfreak358
Siks the Umbra de Aurora
Siks the Umbra de Aurora

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:19 pm

I've played it. Granted, not through to the end, but I've played it. It's not as bad as people say it is, but then again, I probably haven't encountered half the glitches in it. That said, it's not really good, it's just kinda boring.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon
Terra, the Vir who Convelli Telluris

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:23 pm

I was going through my little brother's games the other day, looking for something new when I stumbled across it. I watched two of my friends play Adventures and thought "Why not? Should be fun." I put it in and was immediately floored. It was AMAZING. The graphics, the controls, the innovative mechanics, all brought to perfection. The story is top-notch, and I'd immediately recommend it to any of my friends. Masochist? I don't think so, and I'm upset with EgoRaptor and JonTron on Game Grumps for dissing it.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:29 pm

Sonic '06? Well, from what I hear, you better be ready for hours of frustration... and facepalming... and lack of entertainment. There's a three-hour rant about how much one LPer HATES the game. And you can't really argue against his points, they're solid. He even spells out the POSITIVES, and what he LIKES. It doesn't take long. Just... hope that His World at the end of each story's credits is worth the aggravation it takes to get there.

Hrm, well, I've got a good computer, too. This thing's designed for gaming, actually. Problem is, it was a gift, and one of the conditions was to NOT use illegal ROMs and hacks and stuff like that.

About P3: Let's see if you beat Fes before I beat Portable! Slim chance, mind you... Portable's easier and lets me control my party members, and I'm already chillin' on Yakushima Beach. It also, for some strange reason, doesn't let my party members tire out until I leave Tartarus. I mean, I can fight for hours, then I walk about and they're tired as hell, when in the original, they'd have dropped like stones right after a fight.

A friend of mine had Arena... but sold it to get something else. I don't pretend to know the exact reason, so I can't blame her, really.

I'm curious. What SNES titles, exactly?

Oh, I figure I'll mention a couple of things: I found out about a hack called Pony Fantasy VI. Yes. It's an MLP version of FFVI. However... it goes deeper than that. They've altered the plot somewhat, and changed some abilities, and shuffled them around based on logic and balance. They've also done renaming, and rewrote whole portions of the script to better suit the relationships of the characters.

And that bring me to the other thing: I'm replaying FFVI myself. Not the hack, just the Advance version. Ugh... after seeing the original and a pony hack, the cheapass-ness of the GBA version is painful to look at.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX
Aleri, the Vindex de Crepusculum

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:39 pm

I was trying to troll Haar with my last post, but Sonic 06 isn't all that bad to me. At least it isn't StarFox Adventures... -shudders-

I haven't touched P3 for a while, what with the numerous other games on my list XD but I'm far ahead of you, far enough that I reached the point where the 'wandering around' music has changed. Though that might just be a month from where you are...

I don't see a problem with ROMs, but that's a matter of preference I'd suppose.

And I'm thinking Chrono Trigger (though I might wuss out and go DS [fat chance, I'm not sure how well that'd work XD]), DKC, and Final Fantasy V (if it isn't in Japane-... Screw it, GBA version.) If you've got other titles to recommend, I'd appreciate it.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:40 pm

NebulaGregarZX wrote:About P3: Let's see if you beat Fes before I beat Portable! Slim chance, mind you... Portable's easier and lets me control my party members, and I'm already chillin' on Yakushima Beach. It also, for some strange reason, doesn't let my party members tire out until I leave Tartarus. I mean, I can fight for hours, then I walk about and they're tired as hell, when in the original, they'd have dropped like stones right after a fight.

The getting tired thing is perfectly normal. I think it was done to make it easier on the player, so that they can continue on without their star player (aside from MC of course) deciding, "Nope! I'mma drop out." It's really convenient sometimes, but other times, you just wonder why they're not tired until they leave. And why Mitsuru explains at the beginning that it's easier to get tired when you actually can't until the next day.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  khfreak358 Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:14 pm

Well, to be fair, I've heard there are worse Sonic games. Like Freeriders.
khfreak358
khfreak358
Siks the Umbra de Aurora
Siks the Umbra de Aurora

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:15 pm

All the same, there's one thing you can expect of a Modern Sonic game, and that's awesome music. Even if the game isn't as good as Colors/Generations (for a modern example), it will have good music.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Oh, anohter difference in P3P... at Yakushima, they added a little bit more dialogue between Junpei and Akihiko at the beach. I remembered it because it was definitely shoehorned in between two of Junpei's lines.

For FFV? Go for GBA if you want a better script translation, and the extra dungeon (the room full of Omegas - oh god!) and the added classes. For higher musical quality and general feel, try a hack of the Famicom version. Dammit, I miss my GBA copy... that was my favorite of the series...

Comparing it to Star Fox Adventures? Well, to each his own... I mean, I bet I'm the kind of player who could handle '06 with less frustration. I play Persona 4, I can handle lots of sitting and reading/watching/waiting. However, whether it is enjoyed/tolerated or not, the fact remains that it was a terribly rushed and awful game. Just hope your rage doesn't break when you glitch to your death... which you will. It will happen. No exceptions.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:23 pm

The room full of Omegas and the Omega Mk II was LAUGHABLE, sir. The really hard bosses are Shinryu and Neo Shinryu. I couldn't even beat Neo, I didn't have the Dragon Lances for it. I'll probably hack them once I get to that stage, but until then... I wonder if I should do a challenge, hack myself to awesomeness and roflstomp everything, or go about it like normal. Hmmm... Maybe keep the characters type-specific, like Bartz is Fighter, Faris is Utility, Lenna is White Mage and Galuf/Krile Black Mage.

Starfox Adventures was a terrible, terrible game. It felt forced, crappy, the voice actors from SF 64 were all gone... It was just bad. The only redeeming thing about it was Crystal showed up and got put in the other games.

I haven't glitched to my death yet, and I don't plan on it. As Sonic, I'm right after Crisis City, so maybe that streak is about to break pretty soon.

Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:35 pm

Hm... About the Omegas? I really meant it more in a trauma-induced fear kinda way. It's the bonus dungeon, stuff like that is to be expected, and if you know what you're doing, it's a joke. It's just... well, back in the day, I sucked at all video games, and accidentally running into Omega in FFVAdvance was horrifying. I'm still wondering how I got so far in games... I once showed a friend my FFIIIDS file: I was stuck on the Salamander fight... at level 35. Ten levels below that is enough to wipe the floor with the guy.

...Oh, and there's a boss rush after you beat the Final Bonus Boss, Enuo. Yes, the Enuo they talk about as being the guy who created the Void.

Never played Star Fox Adventures, so I can't give an opinion on it, to be honest...
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:38 pm

Starfox Adventures was a different game called Dinosaur Planet. Rareware just put Fox and co. in it because Nintendo said, "Hey, you should put Fox in it!" As far as glitches, you're seriously lucky to have gotten to Crisis City as Sonic and not glitched, because I've glitched to death a few times. In the first main level.

Also, I hate having to leave the room during the P4 exposition dumps. I'd really rather sit through the cutscenes than have a festive house at Christmas. If you ask me, we need a tree, a mat for under the tree, and maybe the Christmas Village, just for the tradition. Everything else, IMO, can stay up in the attic.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:20 am

Yeah, eventually I got tired of Neo Shin and just waltzed up to Enuo expecting him to be a bit of a joke compared to Shin. Man, was I FLOORED. Seriously. I was level 60 with Freelancer mastered. Why I couldn't beat him, I have no idea. I'll be doing a single-type challenge, so yay for me. On to adventure!
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:15 am

...You mean, use the same class for your whole party, instead of individual classes for each character? 'Cuz that's actually pretty effective if you use the right classes... And it's not like FFIII, where changing Job Classes has any penalty or requirement. You can do it any time, anywhere, no ACTUAL repercussions. Forgetting your previous setup is a side effect.

Mweheh, don't underestimate Bonus Bosses so much, or you're liable to get burned.

Once you're done with your challenge, try going full-blast, or even cheating. It's probably going to be so satisfying, if the challenge was hard.

Lemme suggest some factors for the challenge...

-No grinding of ANY KIND, nor item farming. Better figure out how to distribute that ABP, muhuhuhahahaha!
-Ban the use of any known Game Breakers, with exceptions in specific situations, where they are the only way to reasonably proceed. Lookin' at you, Blue Magic! Also, make sure you get all Blue Magic, just to spice things up. Happy hunting!
-Perhaps... One character per Job Class? No two Knights, no two White Mages, no party full of Freelancers tearing things up? Before you obtain Job Classes is excusable, of course, but once you can, you must switch at least three party members to different classes.

...Ugh, I feel pathetic. Maybe it's just that I haven't been able to play it in years, but I was never as good as you are now. I know I really sucked, in the past, but do I really suck in comparison with everybody else...!? I don't derive a whole lot of pleasure from taking unneccessary challenges, like restricting my equipment or Job Classes or anything. It kinda cheapens it, to me, since I find it fun to figure out different ways to cut a bloody swathe through the countryside, without placing extra limitations on what I can do...
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:21 am

The thing is, I've cut so many alleged "bloody swathes" before, I want to change things up considerably. And by single-type, I meant Bartz is all Fighter Classes, Lenna is White mages, etc. And I'll consider no grinding (AAAAAAAAGH!...), and I'll not use Game Breakers, unless I die three times on the same fight. In which case, I'm busting out the Ninjzerkers. Hmmm... minimal equip grind only, no Job grinding. I think that's fair, seeing as how I'll definitely be running enough to use the Chicken Knife's full potential.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:31 am

HCBailly managed without grinding... but he's the god of RPG LPs. Here's one of his tricks for the Chicken Knife: Take the time to run fifteen times in each area. And, remember, you'll want to fight as many of those battles as you can. There'll be a shortage of ABP already, running all the time only makes that worse. But, maybe you should consider planning out your jobs ahead of time, so you don't come to something that's immune to magic after using pure mages.

Huh, maybe I just haven't played through them enough times... I mean, when I first got it, I played through the night. Really. Without sleep. I would've beaten it in 24 hours if I hadn't gotten stuck on that one room in the cave in Drakenvale...

Also, remember that there are some interesting things you can take advantage of. Like how Caslte Waltz's tower, the place where you get Shiva... all the enemies carry Mythril Swords for you to steal. And Blue Magic is a cross between a Game Breaker and a non-intuitive ability. Using it correctly destroys every boss in the game... once you have the skills to exploit their vulnerabilities. I mean, c'mon! Some of 'em are weak to Death Claw, which paralyzes and cut down their HP to 1/4. That's a pretty big handicap for a boss! The trick, though is knowing what works on who, and where and when to get the skills.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:37 am

I don't have the slightest clue who HCBailly is, but he sounds rather impressive. And fifteen times for every area? Not grinding just... doesn't sound doable now. Drakenvale was a difficulty amp, and you're lucky if you know what to do. The boss is a pain, no weaknesses that I know of. I know about Walse tower, I steal grind Ricard Mages in order to get the free Flame Rods for Shiva. I've literally NEVER touched Blue Magic except to get Mighty Guard once. So... I'll definitely check it out.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:48 am

...Once you see HCBailly break an FF game, you can never go back... I think he's one of the reasons I'm decent at it now. I planned to rewatch his LP of the game in place of actually playing it, since I lost my copy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXfQ7GDNCY8

He may sound a little strange, but once you're used to it, you can easily tell: he's the best. I mean, the guy actually does research and test runs before his LPs. He's already burned through most of the FF series, and well... he's actually put limits on it. He can't do two FF Main LPs in a row. Also, he does two LPs at a time: a Main LP and Side LP. As you can guess, Side LPs are usually smaller games.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:15 am

One: this guy sounds absolutely dedicated to his work. I can tell he's probably got a lot of the Algorithms for the games down pat. Also, I had no idea the PSX version was THAT well designed, with all the CGI and whatnot. I'll give him a look once I get going, but for now... "Yo-ho-ho and stuff! Time to cast off!"
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  khfreak358 Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:20 am

Haar_Dragon wrote:All the same, there's one thing you can expect of a Modern Sonic game, and that's awesome music. Even if the game isn't as good as Colors/Generations (for a modern example), it will have good music.

Funny you should say that, because I've actually heard the soundtrack for Freeriders is terrible. But I really haven't heard a lot of it myself, so I can't say for sure.
khfreak358
khfreak358
Siks the Umbra de Aurora
Siks the Umbra de Aurora

Back to top Go down

Post  Aesoth Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:38 am

Here's an example of what Sonic: Free Riders has to offer. Please don't shoot the messenger.
Aesoth
Aesoth
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:49 am

I won't shoot you, at least. This sounds actually pretty good. Although this is currently my favorite Sonic track...

And someone help me decide: What do you consider a Blue Mage? In all honesty, I think it could be anything, and used as such, but for my challenge, I want only one (maybe two) people to have that job.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:50 am

From what I hear, the Rider games aren't actually so bad, just... an investment. Once you really get the playstyle down, it's not so aggravating.

Um, the PSX version of FFV? You're KIDDING, right? That's THE CGI sequence they added for the PSX port. What else did it get? A pathetic translation. Wyverns? They call 'em Y-Burns! Dammit, Square! And I hear the music got compressed, too. You're better off with the hack.

HCBailly... goes out of his way to demonstrate what you can do to break the game. He even showed off a dangerous method of powergrinding in FFIX involving killing an out-of-place Grand Dragon encounter for massive EXP. He refuses to use such methods, however, and always uses Save States to reverse them. He even showed off the Adamant armor in the original FFIV... And why it's so much more broken than it's supposed to be.

I warn you now, HCBailly is one of my rant subjects. Anythign I say regarding the matter will devolve into a rant, unless it's a simple "He is the god of RPG LPs" or "He is a badass with a fondness for turbans".
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:51 am

You would pick the bad version of Free. Here's what that song sounds like when it... *ahem* doesn't suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqhMkmlJI3w&list=PLD1746C9E0CE11FED&index=20
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next