TITAL: Together If They All Lived
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game Talk (I'm putting this extra little bit here because the original title was too short)

+12
Admin (HalcyonWandering)
Eques tenebrarum
lethalityComplex
XGeass
Maverick Entity
Zeldaman2.0
Aesoth
khfreak358
NebulaGregarZX
Haar_Dragon
Malakili007
AKeybladeYouSay
16 posters

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Game Talk (I'm putting this extra little bit here because the original title was too short) - Page 39 Empty Re: Game Talk (I'm putting this extra little bit here because the original title was too short)

Post  khfreak358 Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:16 am

Maverick Entity wrote:Sigh, I miss having my badass Swampert from the days of Sapphire.

All of this. Water-ground is best type combo ever.
khfreak358
khfreak358
Siks the Umbra de Aurora
Siks the Umbra de Aurora

Back to top Go down

Game Talk (I'm putting this extra little bit here because the original title was too short) - Page 39 Empty Re: Game Talk (I'm putting this extra little bit here because the original title was too short)

Post  Haar_Dragon Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:40 am

*coughLeafbladeSolarbeamGigadraincough* Ugh, man, I really need some Mucinex...
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon
Terra, the Vir who Convelli Telluris

Back to top Go down

Post  Cremator of the Sky Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:59 am

Haar_Dragon wrote:*coughLeafbladeSolarbeamGigadraincough* Ugh, man, I really need some Mucinex...

Pretty much this. As much as I love Water/Ground, those things just sink like my likability when a Grass move hits them. Of course, as much as I love Torterra as its the manliest of all Starters, Grass/Ground isn't a good combo either.
Cremator of the Sky
Cremator of the Sky
Omicron
Omicron

Location : The Ancient World that I have cremated and seeded with Metal.

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:31 am

Haar_Dragon wrote:*coughLeafbladeSolarbeamGigadraincough* Ugh, man, I really need some Mucinex...
Why would you keep it in on something that has one of those moves, especially if it's obvious it'll get STAB from it? Swampert's good, but it's not the best and a good backup is always handy. Assuming 1x1, though, Swampert can still outspeed some of the other Grass starters, and Ice Beam is always very, very handy.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Maverick Entity Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:00 pm

Oddly enough, I don't think my Swampert ever died facing a Grass type. Not even when I uploaded him to Pokémon Colosseum. I think he went alongside a Tyranitar that had earthquake to pretty much knock over Mt. Battle.
Maverick Entity
Maverick Entity
Gunamnex, the Commemoratio de Fortuna
Gunamnex, the Commemoratio de Fortuna

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:16 pm

Well, my point is that if I want it off the field, I send out a Grass-type and use one of those moves. Either I get 4x damage, or Swampert/Quagsire is called back. With regards to Ice Beam...yeah, okay, makes sense. Also, for Doubles, Sunny Day and Solarbeam. For Singles...Personally, I'd be under the impression that a Torterra would be bulky enough to survive Ice Beam. At which point, Giga Drain.

Though apparently, PP for PP, Mega Drain does more damage. That said, it takes longer to the point where I still don't really care. On another note, why does Leech Life exist?
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:08 pm

Leech Life exists because Blissey and other walls who don't have Mega/Giga Drain as a move can couple it with Leftovers and perhaps Toxic to slowly whittle away an opponent's HP. Of course, this requires a switch-in most of the time, but it gets the job done. Well. A switch-in to get the benefits of Leech Seed. In any case, Torterra takes quad damage from Ice Beam, but unless Swampert has assistance in the form of an item or a crit, I doubt terra would KO.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:18 pm

Leech LIFE, not Leech SEED. I actually really like Leech Seed, and combining it with PoisonPowder is my Venusaur strategy. I mean the crappy bug-type absorbing move. The one that Zubat of all things has.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:55 pm

Oh. Well that's what happens when I get up at 7 after only three hours of sleep XD It's not a competitive move, but there's such a lack of early game enemies with Psychic or Dark typing that it's more useless than Supersonic most times. Shit, it's barely better than Splash.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  khfreak358 Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:23 pm

Yeah, I'll admit, grass is the big Achilles' heel, but that's also it's ONLY weakness. And I can't think of another type combo we've had that only has one weakness. Though, admittedly, I might be a bit biased because Sapphire was my first Pokemon game, and Mudkip was my starter.
khfreak358
khfreak358
Siks the Umbra de Aurora
Siks the Umbra de Aurora

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:37 pm

Funny, my first was Ruby and I started with Treecko. I might be a bit biased, too. Then again, I didn't actually learn to play properly until Black, and Black 2 was my first properly-balanced team.

Only weakness type-wise, yes. But if I have a good enough sweeper that isn't Jolteon or Raichu, I honestly don't feel like I'd have all that much to fear from Swampert/Quagsire. Granted, that might just be my tendecy to have a team of 6 sweepers talking, but y'know what? Shut up. Also, Zoroark. I really like Zoroark.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:42 am

Six sweepers is always fun until you get into OU Monotype (basically Gym Leader vs. Gym Leader), at which point you will NEED walls. And Zoroark was one of many pokemon in Gen V that followed the "glass canon sweeper with small movepool" format. Samurott, Servine, Galvantula, etc. Then again, I love playing bulky. Bulk for days.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:35 am

See, I'm more for "Kill it before it can do things." If MP isn't really a concern (lategame Disgaea), I generally like mages to just kinda blast away everything because very few things have good resistance. If it is (Persona, Final Fantasy), I play either really fast or really brute-force. Basically, whatever allows me to kill things fastest.

With regards to Pokemon, that generally involves using things like Sylveon or Crobat, who are really good at getting out there and doing massive damage. The difference is that Sylveon is really bulky while Crobat is a glass-cannon. The only notable exceptions I make to "Sweep everything" are Venusaur, who just walls against a Poisoned, Leech Seeded enemy, and Vaporeon. Who's just plain awesome, despite having my least favorite design of any of the Eevee family. Strategy with Vaporeon? Sit there spamming my strongest move, possibly with Rain Dance, laughing as my opponent takes out considerable and yet laughably fractional amounts of my infinite well of HP.

...Yeah, I really like Vaporeon. Just sayin'. The only Eevee I never attempted using was Flareon. Though I did use a Jolteon in a run of LeafGreen that I never finished...

What's everyone else's favorite evolution of Eevee?
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:49 am

I agree with Haar's playstyle, but I feel uncomfortable if I don't have some balance. A whole team of glass cannons with one wall of beef doesn't sit right with me. As a strategist, I work with what I have, I'm not as good at preparing within restrictions, optimizing my setups, y'know.

As for Eevee, I hear Flareon has monstrously powerful Special Attack, but originally had no moves that could properly take advantage of it. In terms of design, Flareon and Espeon are my favorites. But I don't know much about the individual evolutions, which is why I'm raising a whole team made of 'em: to figure out what the difference is, and which I like best.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX
Aleri, the Vindex de Crepusculum

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:08 am

See, that's how I do things as well, I just like a little insurance just in case. And you're close, Gregar, but it was Attack, not Special Attack, and she didn't even get Flare Blitz last Gen, but she has it now. In fact, Flareon's moveset is MUCH more workable now. As far as favorite Eeveelution? Oh man... Jolteon used to be my favorite for the longest time, because of the type coverage it had, but I don't typically use Electrics. That said though, I have a four-way tie between Flareon, Vaporeon, Leafeon, and Glaceon. Flareon because of the boa and the eyes are adorable, Vaporeon has a neat design, Glaceon has those little socks on her feet and Leafeon is just adorable. Hell, they're all adorable.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:18 am

Ah, that was it.

Well, yeah. Just look at How Eevee looks and acts in Pokémon-Amie. It's the first time I tried to use the make-silly-faces camera function. Or whatever that is... I'm not too sure.

Also, who else already got the pun? Pokémon-Amie? Mon-amie? It took me a second to catch it before.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:36 am

Caught it right away. My reaction was "...That's a really stupid name and I'll probably never use it." Then I wanted a Sylveon.

Going design-wise, gotta say Jolteon or Espeon. I haven't the faintest idea why. Gameplay-wise, though, like I said, Vaporeon. Maybe tied with Sylveon.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:07 pm

I used it from the start. It's kind of tedious, but I would feel guilty having the option to make my Pokémon team happy (without doing something stupid like coming back to get massages for them once a day, or paying out the nose for some other service) and choosing to ignore it.

...Y'know, I should stop dawdling and actually DO all of this training and evolving I keep talking about. Heck, I'm hovering over whether or not to try and beat Tales of the Abyss next.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:17 pm

Ehhh, I never did. I just used the Super Training, because it felt less tedious for some reason. Immediate gratification and all that.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:52 pm

Well, it's more fun to do Super Training. And it boosts stats (EVs, I think) instead of friendship. And Pokémon-Amie IS boring and tedious sometimes. I'll admit, I get annoyed with it, and the detection can be obnoxious, and having to play minigames constantly to have the supplies to feed them is a bit painful at times... But, again, the problem is how incredibly GUILTY I'd feel if I didn't play with my Pokémon. Damn their manipulative genius!

...Thus, I come to the conclusion that I am gullible and easily manipulated by games. Which is probably why I fell for What'sUp's joke, what, three years ago now? But I'm still able to catch lies if something about them strikes me as wrong, like a message from official sources that doesn't sound impartial. So... I'll never fall for April Fools' Day jokes or Phishing scams, but I'm still taking people at their word too easily.

Back to Disgaea for the last time, I'd like to note that the only things in the postgame that interest me are the Item God Ending, defeating Baal, and obtaining the legendary Yoshitsuna sword. Because I like the story surrounding the fight with Baal, the Yoshitsuna is incredibly badass (coolest and most distinctive sword in the series, most powerful, has an attack range of five panels...), and the Item God Ending is like a bittersweet version of the Good Ending. Since the conditions are to have an Ally Kill and have beaten an Item God, and the Good Ending overrides it if you don't have that Ally Kill, it's like a redemptive ending: if you screwed up and got an Ally Kill, you have to face an Item God to make things better. It's only worse than the Good Ending in that...

Spoiler:
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:01 am

Well, in order to GET the Yoshitsuna, you need to kill an Item God. And you're probably going to WANT to be extremely overleveled for the fight with Baal. And you're going to WANT a Thief. So...in going for Baal, you're basically saying you want to do all of the postgame stuff...

I'm also fairly easily manipulated by games, too. As in, my first real run at KH3D, I used nothing but the initial Keyblades, because of the canon, despite the fact that it really nerfed my stats. But something like Pokemon? Not really so much. I mean, maybe I'm just not that emotional, but I don't tend to feel guilty if I ignore something like Pokemon-Amie. Even if I were in-universe, it seems like the kind of thing where I'd just forget it existed until I needed it. Of course, I'd feel guilty giving the entire thing to Eevee, considering I have five other teammates who get no time in there. Honestly, though? I did spend like an hour in there once because my Aurorus wasn't leveling up fast enough.

And with that out of the way, I actually find I have an overabundance of those cake things that I can't remember the name of. Poke puffs immediately entered my mind as soon as I finished typing that. Anyway, what I find more irritating is that they only have three minigames to play, so it gets really tedious. And considering I'm only good at one of them, it's worse, because for any sort of progress, I need to play that one. Granted, that's due to my own lack of skill and is by extension my fault, but still. It's tedious as all hell. But, that said, it does seem like the kind of thing they'd abandon after this gen. Kinda like the Poketch (that's a really stupid name) or the Apricorn Balls. Although I did like the Apricorn balls...
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:12 am

And it has to be a high-level Item God, too... not something form a basic item. And I'd need to steal the Yoshitsuna, since I'm pretty sure it only appears as a high-level Item God's equipment in a Legendary item taken from the Item World itself. But while I'm interested in beating Baal, it's too much effort. If it were the PSP version, I would have better grinding spots that would make it almost viable, but as it stands, my ultimate accomplishment is likely going to be obtaining a Majin/Divine Majin, unlocking every class tier for humanoids, or getting the Item God ending.

Did you try Infinite difficulty? It keeps on going until you fail three times, and lets your score get incredibly high. Of course, it's less efficient in terms of the number of puffs you get for how much time is spent, but each puff is higher quality, which makes it MORE efficient in terms of friendship-rating.

I... don't think that's being manipulated. I originally went ahead and used new Keyblades because it didn't seem like the game was telling me not to. I was excited to see Sora swing around a new Keyblade most of the time. I think that's mostly you, but I've recently been doing it too. It's weird, I seemed to be doing better when I stayed with Kingdom Key until I got something more strategically useful. Starting on Expert mode, I was doing better, too... maybe I do better in Kingdom Hearts when I've got some sense of restriction?

Oh, I forgot about those bonuses. Also! Keep your stylus on the touch screen as the game tells you that the enemy Pokémon has fainted, and you'll pet your active Pokémon. I imagine it raises their friendship level, and it only takes a second and not real active thought to do. ...So, you have an Aurorus, too?
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:25 am

Well, I restarted that run, but I have an Aurorus in my other game. And is that what triggered that?! I thought it was random...

Yeah, I've played Infinite mode. Of course, the one I'm good at is the swap-puzzle, and I've gotten as far as twelve of them, I think. I'm not that great at minigames.

The Yoshitsuna should be the equipment of an Item God of a Cosmic Blade. And wouldn't you be strong enough to do a bunch of other postgame stuff if you can get the Item God ending?

Well, I feel like it's being manipulated by the canon. Like, "Oh, well this character did this, that means I have to do it, too." And considering that the flashbacks in KH2 all show Sora wielding the Kingdom Key, I believe that to be the canon Keyblade. Let's face it, if he didn't use Oathkeeper, then there's no way he used any other Keyblade.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:38 am

I thought it was random, too, but then I tested it out when I realized I had kept touching the screen when it happened the last couple of times... so, now we know how to spam it. Perfect.

I do the one with the yarn balls. It's easy enough for me to get into the rhythm and get long chains going. I've gotten chains over 100 before.

Nah, the Item God is pathetically weak if you just use a Legendary item that's weak enough.

...When I'm manipulated, it's usually by the developers and the characters. I'm willing to take what they say at face value, like how some area has easy enemies, hard enemies, is nice to visit... er, well, there are times when I ignore them out of common RPG sense, of course, but I usually believe them when they, for example, sum up a character's personality. If they say Sora is dumb, I'll believe them, even though he really isn't that stupid.

As for Oathkeeper... yeah. It's funny, because that's my favorite Keyblade to use. But the thing is, the flashbacks can't know what Keyblades you chose to use in those cutscenes in your previous game. It would be stupid if they found a way to make the game remember it and alter those scenes in later games accordingly. I mean, if they had guessed that you were using certain Keyblades based on where in the story they're unlocked, that's another thing. But as it stands, Kingdom Key is just the default one. I like to use Keyblades that don't look silly in cutscenes, which is usually my real reason for acquiring the ultimate weapon - because it looks more appropriate during the endgame than some silly-looking thing I got from Symphony of Sorcery (damn that thing). So it's not an intentional manipulation, it's just that they couldn't reasonably do it any other way.

...Oh, and you probably knew this already, but that one cutscene before the 1000 Heartless Battle shows Sora using Kingdom Key regardless of what he's got equipped. Maybe it has to do with programming issues, considering how many Heartless had to be present in that one scene...
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:01 am

Actually, I could see it reading off your memory card. I mean, it has to access that to save data, so I could imagine it pulling data out of a previous save file in KH1 for that information. I'll admit that's a stretch, but still. Like I said, if he didn't change his Keyblade to Oathkeeper--y'know, the one that KAIRI GAVE HIM--for the cutscenes in the End of the World, there's no way he changed it for the rest of the game.

I tend to believe games when they tell me things, too. Of course, I see a paradise area and I think "Okay, how long until it gets blown up?" But things like characters, I'll go along with the game until they show me otherwise. For example, if the game tells me that Guy X is really this awesome guy, I'll take their word for it. But if Guy X is acting like a complete asshole after twenty minutes of screentime and the game is trying to tell me it's a sign that something is wrong, I don't really care, because all I've seen of the guy is him acting like a complete asshole. So I don't know him as this great dude that something must be wrong with. I see him as a douche and everyone else as being totally dense. They can change my mind about that with flashbacks and such, but really, I only need basic proof that the game isn't lying in order to believe it. Like, minimal.

That said, Terra is kind of a dumbass.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next